|Dallington School Playground||Islington|
The site is a former burial ground of St Bartholomew's Hospital, which was used for the burial of unclaimed bodies. It was located east of Mssrs Sewards Dye House. After it closed for burial the site was let as a carter's yard before being laid out as a public playground by the MPGA in 1891, which was maintained by St Luke's Vestry. It is now tarmaced and used as a playground by Dallington School, bounded by a rendered wall to Seward Street with railings above, gate piers and a number of plane trees. The site has been identified within the Bunhill and Clerkenwell Urban Design Study as being potentially suitable for public open space.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Dallington School was founded in 1978 by Mogg Hercules, who acquired the former Gatehouse School to open her independent school here.
Mrs Basil Holmes, The London Burial Grounds, 1896, p291; LB Islington Planning information