|Fortune Street Park||Islington|
Fortune Street and this small park are named after the Fortune Theatre, which was built for Edward Alleyn and Philip Henslowe in 1600 on Golden Lane, off which Fortune Street runs. The area was bombed during WWII and the site was laid out as Fortune Street Park in the early 1960s. In 2002 refurbishment works were undertaken, which included landscaping, provision of additional seating and re-siting of play equipment.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2013
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.islington.gov.uk/services/parks-environment/parks/your_parks/greenspace_az
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Fortune Theatre was modelled on The Globe, and was originally a wooden building, which burnt down in 1621 and was then rebuilt in brick. The theatre was closed by the Puritans in 1642 although it carried on operating until it was dismantled by soldiers in 1649. The park has a central path flanked by rose beds winding through areas of grass, with shrubberies around the perimeter and two playgrounds. There are a variety of tree species throughout, some mature and notable specimens. The park is well-used by office workers as well as the local community, and as a result of this heavy use a partnership of LB Islington, the Corporation of London and local people led to refurbishment works in 2002. Now completed, these included landscaping, provision of additional seating and re-siting of play equipment. A community mosaic was created and the Friends of Fortune Park was set up. In 2006/7 the park won the Green Flag Award.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993)