|Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church||Islington|
The island site occupied by Highbury Quadrant Congregational Church has a garden area enclosed by a low brick parapet. The Congregational Church was established here in 1878 and was formerly at the centre of residential terraced houses, now replaced by council blocks of the Highbury Quadrant Estat, built by the LCC in 1955/6.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.congregational.org.uk/content.aspx?id=556
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The east and north sides of the church grounds are enclosed by wire mesh fencing, with gates at the western apex of the triangular site. Planting includes notable ash, robinia, field maple and lime, and iIn front of the church and along the south and east boundary are grass, shrubs and trees. The areas north and east of the church are more overgrown. Charles Booth, famous for his Survey into Life and Labour in London dating from 1886-1903, notes his visit to the congregational church on 28 November 1897 (Notebook B386 p14-19).
Andrew Saint (introduction), 'London Suburbs', Merrell Holberton Publishers 1999