|Highbury Quadrant Estate||Islington|
Highbury Quadrant Estate was built by the LCC in 1955-56 with low blocks of flats and a clubroom, the buildings set within landscaping of lawns and numerous trees, including mature horse chestnuts. The architects worked with the local community in preparing their designs, and the estate has been described as 'with hindsight, the ultimate manifestation of the LCC's Swedish-inspired socialists, usually known as the 'herbivores'' (Andrew Saint, 'London Suburbs'). A sculpture in cemented iron by Siegfried Charoux entitled 'The Neighbours', was commissioned by the LCC in 1957 and erected within the landscaping in 1959. Charoux's sculpture of two figures represented the ideals of the 'working man'.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.islington.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Highbury Quadrant was originally laid out in the 1850s as part of Highbury New Park estate developed by Henry Rydon on land once owned by Francis Maseres, which had passed to Robert and William Fellowes. By the 1860s around 45 detached and semi-detached villas had been built on the two arms of Highbury Quadrant. Following WWII, this was one of a number of areas of Highbury that was rebuilt as municipal housing, replacing the Victorian houses that had suffered bomb damage. The LCC's Highbury Quadrant Estate was one of the largest of these estates, providing 611 dwellings in 40 blocks of 4 and 5 storeys. Siegfried Charoux was commissioned by the LCC on the recommendation of the Arts Council, an example of the LCC's practice of providing sculptures on its housing estates, many of which still stand.
Andrew Saint (introduction), 'London Suburbs', (Merrell Holberton Publishers, 1999); Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England: London 4: North' (Penguin, 1998), pp74, 86, 694; 'Islington: Growth: Highbury', in A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (Victoria County History, 1985), pp. 37-41.