|Mountfort Crescent, Barnsbury Square||Islington|
Mountfort Crescent was built from 1834-47 as part of the Bishop Estate and comprises pairs of bow-fronted villas set around a central garden, which forms the nucleus of this small cul-de-sac off the north side of Barnsbury Square. Named after Mountfort House, it occupies the ground of what used to be Reed Moatfield, in which was a moated site described in 1756. The architect John Carr McLellan lived at No.3 from 1883-88. In 1928 the garden was described as a 'small area enclosed by light railings owned by freeholders of surrounding houses, who maintained the garden'. No longer railed the garden has several notable trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Mary Cosh, 'The Squares of Islington Part II, Islington Parish', Islington Archaeology & History Society, 1993