|Mountfort Terrace, Barnsbury Square||Islington|
Mountfort Terrace was built in 1841, part of the Bishop Estate to the south of Barnsbury Square. The Terrace is fronted by an open area, owned by freeholders of the surrounding houses, which in 1928 was described as a ‘small oval shaped area planted with shrubs and a few trees’. It is now largely tarmaced with some roses and a number of trees including eucalyptus, false acacia, specimen conifers and walnut. C19th houses remain on the west side of the terrace. The portrait painter Frederick Ullman lived at No. 4 in 1886-88.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.islington.gov.uk/parks
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998); Mary Cosh, 'The Squares of Islington Part II, Islington Parish', Islington Archaeology & History Society, 1993