|Packington Estate, including Packington Gardens||Islington|
In 1563 the Clothworkers' Company was bequeathed 60 acres of land in the area by Dame Anne Packington. The Clothworkers' Estate was developed from 1846-50 and included Arlington and Union Squares, and Packington Square was built by 1861. The area was badly bombed in WWII and the Clothworkers' Co. subsequently sold their land in 1945 although from 1937 the Packington Estate had been administered by City Parochial Foundation. Part of the estate was sold to private developers and Islington Council purchased 22.5 acres in 1963. An earlier private proposal for rebuilding the estate had been rejected as it would have dispossessed unprotected tenants. After a long public enquiry, construction of the new estate began in 1967, completed 3 years later. The objective was to created a community atmosphere with public amenities, including recreational and open space, the main public area of which is Packington Gardens, adjacent to the Regent's Canal.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/11/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.islington.gov.uk/parks
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
There are various play areas and green spaces throughout the Packington Estate, some of which are private spaces for residents' use. Packington Gardens is a communal garden with mounded grass, paths and a playground.
Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993); Mary Cosh, The Squares of Islington Part II: Islington Parish, London, 1993 p129-133; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998) p679.