|Prebend Street Island||Islington|
The land in this area was part of the estate of the Clothworkers' Company, who owned and maintained this small area of green space at Prebend Street. The garden is partly surrounded by low walls, with grass, a few mature plane trees, shrubs around the perimeter and a number of seats. In 1928 the garden was described as 'a small enclosure at the junction of roads containing a number of trees'.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.islington.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Prebend Street is named after the medieval estate of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's Cathedral who were owners of the land before it was acquired by the Clothworkers' Company in the reign of Henry VIII. Adjacent is St James Church, which was built of Kentish ragstone in 1873/5 and designed by the architect to the Clothworkers' Company, F W Porter. The Clothworkers' C16th Lambe's Chapel in the City had been demolished in 1872 and a half-figure of William Lambe dating from 1612 is in St James's Church over the door, together with Flemish roundels that were formerly in the chapel.
Report of the Royal Commission for London Squares, 1928; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998).