|St John's Church, Upper Holloway||Islington|
St John's Church is a yellow-brick Commissioners Church built in 1826-28 as the parish church for Upper Holloway and designed by Charles Barry. Fine monuments in the church include that of Ann Sykes (d.1835) and her daughter Martha Venn (d.1840), which feature sculpted figures by Slevier of Faith and Charity. Closed for burial in 1855, the churchyard is now a garden surrounded by brick wall and has flowerbeds, lawn and trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stjohnsevangelist.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The building of the church here was at the instigation of the vicar of Islington parish church of St Mary's (q.v.). The acre of land was donated by the Corporation of the Sons of the Clergy and had been part of the Palmer Estate owned by the late Revd. James Palmer, vicar of St Bride's Church (q.v.). The first stone of the new church was laid on 24 May 1826 following a procession from St Mary's led by the Archbishop of Canterbury. Burials took place in churchyard and in the crypt, where lead coffins remain today, but burials ceased following the Public Order Act of 20 May 1855 on the grounds of public health.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998), p656; Church history on St John's Church website