|Samuel Lewis Trust Dwellings||Islington|
This is one of the first eight schemes of the Samuel Lewis Trust, established in 190 to building housing for the poor. The buildings were designed by C S Joseph and Smithem and consist of five rows of blocks with trees between them, including notable pollarded planes, and small island gardens set in paved areas. It has been described as 'the best illustration in Islington of the tremendous improvement in standards of planning and humane appearance that became apparent in the best working class housing around 1900' (Nikolaus Pevsner).
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.southernhousinggroup.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Samuel Lewis was a wealthy financier who left an endowment of £670,000 for the purpose of establishing a charity to provide housing for the poor. The Samuel Lewis Trust was set up in 1901 and the Samuel Lewis Trust Dwellings at Liverpool Road were among its first housing projects. The estate of 323 dwellings opened on 4 April 1910 and was built by Wallis and Sons Ltd at a cost of £101,000. The units each had a coal bunker, and there was a bath underneath a wooden top in the kitchens. n 2001, the Trust celebrated its centenary year and changed its name to Southern Housing Group.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 4: North (Penguin, 1998)