|Addison Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
The area was part of the large Holland Estate; development of the estate was begun by the third Lord Holland as a means of easing financial problems from the 1820s. It was the fourth Lord Holland who let land for development of Addison Road, Crescent, Addison Gardens, Upper Addison Gardens, Holland Road and Holland Villas Road. The communal garden between Lower and Upper Addison Gardens is shown on maps by 1863 on land to the east of St John the Baptist Church. The boundary wall on Holland Villas Road is of London stock brick, with the original cast iron entrance gate, but the gate piers have been covered in concrete. There is a gravel peripheral walk and a central walk and the site is shaded by many mature beech and plane trees. Protected by Garden Squares Act of 1851.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2013
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The garden was bequeathed as 'Pleasure Gardens' for the 'use and enjoyment' of premises built around it, including both Upper and Lower Addison Gardens, Holland Road, and Holland Villas Road, but only the sections directly abutting the garden square itself qualified. As a result this does not include properties on Upper or Lower Addison Gardens on the other side of the street. The garden is bound by strict Rules & Byelaws, as well as the Kenstington Improvement Act of 1851. No commercial use or access is permitted, so the garden is very private and only those expressly contributing to the Levy upkeep (collected via Council Tax) may use, access and 'enjoy' Addison Gardens, .