|Albert Bridge Garden||Kensington & Chelsea|
Albert Bridge Garden is a small riverside garden at the foot of the Albert Bridge created when the Thames was embanked to designs of Sir Joseph Bazalgette in 1869-74. The garden has a small pavilion, shrubberies, trees and a statue by Francis Derwent Wood. One of two lamp standards to commemorate the completion of the Embankment is sited at the east side of the bridge.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/05/2013
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.tfl.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
These small gardens at the foot of the Albert Bridge were created after the Thames was embanked to designs of Sir Joseph Bazalgette in 1869-74. Chelsea Embankment was officially opened in May 1874 by Lieutenant Col Sir James MacNaughton Hogg, Chairman of the Metropolitan Board of Works. On the east side of the bridge is a Coalbrookdale lamp standard with boys and cornucopia, one of two erected to commemorate the completion of the Embankment. The garden area to the west of the bridge has a bronze statue of Atalanta by Francis Derwent Wood (1871-1926) erected in his memory by the Chelsea Arts Club and Other Friends in 1929. This was stolen in 1991 but is now restored. The west area has a small pavilion by the road, shrubberies and trees; a pedestrian pathway runs under the bridge with planting on both sides and seating.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Thames Conservation Area Proposals Statement