|Ashburn Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
Now a landscaped area behind the Holiday Inn, this was once part of private communal gardens provided for residents of the houses that surrounded it, which were built as part of the Gunter Estate development that took place from 1840s onwards. The northern area of the estate was developed from 1865, encouraged by the arrival of the railway. The garden was laid out with lawn, shrubbery and trees, and was accessible to lessees of houses abutting. A garden rent for its upkeep was reserved in the leases. A number of mature plane trees remain from the original garden square.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ashburn Gardens is within the Courtfields area, the Court Fields once part of the land held by Earl's Court Manor, but later owned by the Gunter family who had farms and agricultural land here. They began developing the area for housing from the late 1840s onwards although the northern part of their estate was undeveloped until the 1870s. Many of the street names reflect the Gunter family links with Yorkshire. Owned by Lady George Campbell in 1928, the gardens were for the benefit of lessees or inhabitants of houses around the enclosure, with a garden rent reserved in their leases, and this was also extended in some cases to other occupants of the near neighbourhood on payment of an agreed rent. The garden was maintained by a Committee composed of lessees and paid for out of the garden rents. At that time it was described as an 'oblong enclosure flanked on two adjoining sides by roads and on the other two sides by the rear of buildings. An attractive open space laid out as a lawn with a shrubbery in the middle and some fine trees around the border'.
The site is now part of the Holiday Inn, and consists of a landscaped area behind the hotel with plane trees from the original garden square remaining on two sides, Courtfield Gardens and Ashburn Gardens, but with more recent landscaping.
Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928