|Barkston Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
Barkston Gardens is a private communal garden provided for residents of the houses that surround it, which were built as part of the Gunter Estate development in the area that took place from 1840s. Barkston Gardens was the former site of Earl's Court House, demolished 1886. The garden was laid out with trees, grass and flower beds and maintained by a Committee; the freehold was purchased by the residents in 1993.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
These gardens are part of the Gunter Estate and development began in 1865 under the then surveyors G. and H. Godwin. Barkston Gardens was built on the site of Earl's Court House, demolished in 1886, which had been the Georgian residence of the Gunter family. The generous number of communal gardens on the estate indicated the type of buyer they were aiming at. Barkston Gardens was laid out formally and very simply. In 1928, in the ownership of Sir R V Gunter and accessible to freeholders and leaseholders of houses abutting, the garden was described as 'A rectangular enclosure flanked on one (short) side by the rear of dwelling-houses. Surrounded by privet hedge. Attractively laid out with lawns, flower beds and trees'. It was maintained by a Committee and paid for out of enclosure rates. Residents bought the freehold of the gardens in 1993; in 1998 the garden committee proposed to replace 8 dying plane trees with trees that would provide autumnal colour. Shaded by the surrounding tall buildings, the gardens have a central feature with planting set into the lawn and wide gravel paths. The garden is protected under the 1851 Garden Square Act.
Survey of London; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928