|Campden Hill Square||Kensington & Chelsea|
Communal private gardens laid out in 1838 for the use of the inhabitants of Notting Hill Square and some surrounding streets. The square was developed from 1826 by Joshua Hanson, who had purchased the land from the Lloyd family of Notting Hill House. The garden had winding paths, clumps of trees and shrubs, with dense planting to the north, and has some original railings and gates. The square was renamed Campden Hill Square in 1893.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The site is on land that was owned by the Lloyd family of Aubrey House, then known as Notting Hill House, which was purchased in 1823 by Joshua Flesher Hanson and developed from 1826 onwards. Hanson was best known for his promotion of Regency Square, Brighton in 1818 and both schemes consist of three sides of housing set around communal gardens. The building plots were sold piecemeal or let, and the first house, No. 2 was occupied in 1828 by Hanson himself. Early houses in the scheme may have been designed by George Edward Valentine, architect and surveyor, who submitted applications for building sewers and individual house drainage. Hanson granted some long-term leases and also built houses under contract for freehold. The plots of Nos.16-20 were sold to Thomas Williams, a coach maker who later purchased Aubrey House. In 1830 Hanson sold remaining undeveloped plots and in 1839 ceased his active part in the development. The square was called Notting Hill Square until 1893.
The garden was laid out in 1838 with winding paths and there were clumps of trees and shrubs on either side. At the north end on Holland Park Avenue this planting was much denser (OS 1894). In 1928, the garden is described as 'surrounded by a privet hedge and shrubberies. Attractively laid out with well-kept lawns and some fine trees'. It was owned by freeholders of the houses in the square, and used by freeholders and leaseholders, the latter having a covenant in their leases prescribing the rent that was payable for using the garden. A limited number of residents in adjacent streets were given special permission from the garden Committee to use the gardens on payment of a subscription. The Garden Committee was appointed annually, and comprised five or more people among the freeholders and leaseholders and the garden was maintained out of the rents and subscriptions. Gates and most of the railings are original. Protected under 1851 Garden Square Act.
Survey of London; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares 1928; RBKC Kensington Conservation Area Proposals Statement 1995