|Chelsea Green||Kensington & Chelsea|
Chelsea Green is a fragment of the old Chelsea Common, a small triangular public garden at the junction of streets laid out by 1836. Between 1674 and 1695 the common was enclosed and charges for grazing funded the restoration of Chelsea's old parish church. This area was developed from the 1790s onwards after building leases were granted by land-owner George Cadogan.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/02/2010
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.rbkc.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
A tiny fragment of green at the south end of Elystan Street, this is all that remains of Chelsea Common, which once extended to what is now Fulham Road in the north and in the south ran from King's Road to Chelsea. The common was enclosed for 21 years between 1674 and 1695 and charges for grazing funded restoration of the parish church, which is now known as Chelsea Old Church. Development over the Common begun c.1790 when George Cadogan was granted a building lease and most of the Common Fields and Pasture were developed by 1836, leaving a small triangular area of fields and market gardens, themselves later built over. The present small area known as Chelsea Green, also triangular in shape, is to the south of that remnant, a meeting of a number of streets laid out by 1836. It is divided by a footpath, which broadens at the centre to offer space for facing seats. The two small grassed areas are surrounded by traditional low round headed railings with a tree in each and bedding displays.
Chelsea Conservation Area Proposals Statement