|No.100 Cheyne Walk *||Kensington & Chelsea|
* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens
This private town garden was designed for Sir Hugh Lane in 1909 by Sir Edwin Lutyens, the planting plan by Gertrude Jekyll, as part of the refurbishment of his house at No. 100 Cheyne Walk. The house stands on what was once part of the site occupied by the C17th Lindsey House, famous as the residence of the 3rd Earl of Lindsey, Lord Great Chamberlain to Charles II. Reinstatement of the 1909 plan for the rear garden has been undertaken since 1983.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.nationaltrust.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
No. 100 Cheyne Walk is on part of the site once occupied by Lindsey House (now taken up by Nos.96-101 Cheyne Walk). The house was rebuilt in 1674 for the third Earl of Lindsey incorporating fabric of the previous C16th house. It was divided into separate dwellings in c.1775. No. 100 together with No. 99 were modified in the late C19th by George Devey.
The rear walled garden was laid out by Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll for Sir Hugh Lane, and runs south-east / north-west, with the house at the south-east end. It consists of a central lengthwise lawn flanked to left and right by paved paths and further strips of lawn on the outer side. The original plan had a paved circular pool at the centre of the lawn, which was planted with box in 1985, at which time two paved areas were made, enclosed by sections of yew hedge. A flower border is along the north-east wall, with twin alcoves in the north-west wall at the end of the two paved paths. The path on the south-west side of the garden has a colonnade at the house end with steps down to a second terrace that used to be the kitchen beside the house. The north-west wall had a niche (held by the National Trust) like others at the end of the garden. Trees and shrubs include a mulberry in the west centre of the garden and a plane tree at the north-west end. The flower border was replanted in 1985 in keeping with Jekyll's planting as part of the reinstatement of the garden in the 1980s undertaken by the then owner John Stefanidis with the assistance of garden designer Arabella Lennox-Boyd. The work is described in her book, 'Private Gardens of London' (1990).
EH Register listing: LCC Survey of London IV, 1913, pp35-41; J. Brown, 'Gardens of a Golden Afternoon', 1985, pp184/5; Sir L Weaver 'Houses and Gardens by Sir Edwin Lutyens', 1925, pp295-6; Arabella Lennox-Boyd, 'Private Gardens of London', London: Weidenfeld & Nicolson, 1990; RBKC Cheyne Conservation Area Proposals Statement (nd)