London Gardens Online
Record
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

Clarendon Road and Lansdowne Road Communal Garden (Ladbroke Estate) * Kensington & Chelsea

Summary

* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens

Clarendon Road and Lansdowne Road Communal Garden is part of the Ladbroke Estate, laid out as a planned garden suburb with a coherent layout of concentric crescents and large communal gardens whose features were first suggested in a plan by architect and estate surveyor Thomas Allason in 1823. His scheme was later modified by others, including James Thomson, although he remained involved until his death in 1852. Building started in the 1840s; the outer concentric crescents date from the 1860s. During the lull in building development, the land was leased for a time for a racecourse, the Hippodrome, which operated from 1837-41. This is one of the earliest gardens on the estate.

Basic Details

Site location:
Clarendon Road/Lansdowne Road

Postcode:
W11 2LQ ( Google Map)

Type of site:
Garden Square

Date(s):
1840s

Designer(s):
Thomas Allason, architect and surveyor (overall plan of Ladbroke Estate)

Listed structures:
None

Borough:
Kensington & Chelsea

Site ownership:
private

Site management:

Open to public?
Occasionally

Opening times:
Has opened for OGSW. Otherwise private, for keyholders only
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 8 times, most recently in 2015.

Special conditions:

Facilities:

Events:

Public transport:
Tube: Holland Park (Central). Bus: 52, 94, 148, 452

The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.

Further Information

Grid ref:
TQ244804

Size in hectares:
0.4218

Green Flag:
Yes

On EH National Register :
Yes

EH grade:
Grade II

Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
No

Registered common or village green on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No

Protected under London Squares Preservation Act 1931:
Yes

Local Authority Data

The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.

On Local List:
No

In Conservation Area:
Yes

Conservation Area name:
Ladbroke

Tree Preservation Order:
Not known

Nature Conservation Area:
Yes - Borough Importance II

Green Belt:
No

Metropolitan Open Land:
No

Special Policy Area:
No

Other LA designation:
None

Clarendon Road and Lansdowne Road Communal Garden (Ladbroke Estate) *

Photo: Gavin Gardiner

Click photo to enlarge.

Album

Fuller information

Ladbroke Estate: Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list

The Ladbroke Estate was laid out as a planned garden suburb with a coherent layout of concentric crescents and large communal gardens whose features were first suggested in a plan by architect and estate surveyor Thomas Allason in 1823. His scheme was later modified by others, including James Thomson, although he remained involved until his death in 1852. Building started in the 1840s; the outer concentric crescents date from the 1860s. During the lull in building development, the land was leased for a time for a racecourse, the Hippodrome, which operated from 1837-41. After Allason's death, artist and designer Thomas Allom was responsible for the next phase of development.

Clarendon Road and Lansdowne Road Communal Garden is one of the earliest gardens in the estate bounded by large brick houses with stucco detailing along Clarendon Road to the west, and Lansdowne Road to the east, both built 1846. The garden slopes gently to the west and has a central shrub bed, connected to the perimeter path by a cross path which runs west/east. The mid C19th north/south path has now gone. The communal garden is backed to the west and east by large private gardens, with replicas of the original street railings, including a curved cast iron coping. The rest of the garden is open with scattered mature trees, including fine planes and hawthorns. In the C19th Madame Blavatsky, founder of the Theosophical Society, lived at No. 17 Lansdowne Road. The leader of the suffragettes, Emmeline Pankhurst lived at No. 50 Clarendon Road with her daughter Christabel. Protected under 1851 Garden Square Act.

Sources consulted:

EH Register entry for Ladbroke Estate, 2002/3

Page Top

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.