|Coleherne Court||Kensington & Chelsea|
This is the private communal garden for residents of Coleherne Court, a large mansion block built in the early C20th, and the last remaining area of the Gunther Estate to be developed. It was on the site of a former property, Coleherne House, that dated from at least the late C18th. The private garden is visible through the gate with brick arch on Old Brompton Road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
This was the last remaining area of the Gunter Estate to be developed, a large mansion block named Coleherne Court designed by Walter Cave, Surveyor to the Estate, with associate architect Paul Hoffmann. It was described by Nikolaus Pevsner (Buildings of England) as 'a cheerful mixture of Tudor and Georgian motifs'. It was built on the site of an older property that had existed from at least the C18th; in 1795 William Bolton had purchased Coleherne or the Homefield and subsequently sold it to Robert Gunter in 1807. Coleherne House is shown on maps of 1822 and 1863, in which it is re-named Coleherne Court.
The Gunters had made their money selling confectionery; James Gunter had become a partner of successful Italian pastrycook Domenico Negri, whose business at 7 Berkeley Square was established in 1757 and soon became prosperous. James began investing his money in land in the then rural area around Brompton Lane (now Old Brompton Road), including a house to the north, Earls Court House, where the family lived. When his son Robert inherited the business on his death in 1819 the land holding was considerable. But although some plots had been let for building by the mid 1840s, 73 of the estate's c.81 acres remained undeveloped and leased to farmers and market gardeners. From the late 1840s Robert Gunter began to develop the estate lands, beginning with The Boltons and moving north and east with large houses and terraces. His sons James and Robert continued to develop the estate following his death in 1852. George Godwin was appointed estate surveyor in 1848, joined by his brother Henry, who continued after George's death in 1888.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p544; RBKC The Boltons Conservation Area Policy Statement; 'The Boltons and Redcliffe Square area: Existing buildings', Survey of London: volume 41: Brompton (1983), pp. 237-240.