|Convent of the Assumption Garden||Kensington & Chelsea|
Grounds of the Maria Assumpta Centre, built on the site of two former bishops' palaces, where the earliest plan of a garden dates from 1766. In 1859 the Sisters of the Assumption were invited by Cardinal Wiseman to open a house of Prayer at Kensington Square. They established a girls boarding school there in 1865, adding the Elementary School in 1870 and the Chapel in 1870/1. Other buildings were added over the years with different functions including a domestic training centre for young women, the first Montessori school, a primary school and a teacher training college. In 1978 the Maria Assumpta Centre was formed, providing educational and pastoral facilities. The garden has a variety of trees including mulberry, plane and fruit trees, and a Lourdes-style grotto.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The Maria Assumpta Centre occupies a corner of Kensington Square (q.v.). The convent was built on the site of two former bishops' palaces, the earliest plan of the garden here dates from 1766. In 1859 the Sisters of the Assumption then based in Earl's Court, were invited by Cardinal Wiseman to open a House of Prayer at Kensington Square. They established a girls boarding school there in 1865, adding the Elementary School in 1870 and the Chapel in 1870/1. The Chapel, on 21-22 Kensington Square, was built to designs by George Goldie and Child, with frescoes by Westlake although later damaged by a fire in 1957. The main building on 23 Kensington Square consists of 2 early Victorian houses for which Goldie designed additional buildings in 1875, with a single storey gallery across the front of the two houses and containing the main entrance probably added in 1925. By 1915 a domestic training centre for young women was opened. In 1921 the first Montessori school opened in England and Madame Montessori lectured at the Maria Assumpta Centre from time to time.
During World War II the centre was evacuated and used as a Civil Defence headquarters, the Montessori School and Our Lady of Victories Primary School re-opening in 1945. In 1946 the Maria Assumpta Teacher Training College was founded and the Primary School moved in 1956 to Clareville Street, and the Montessori School closed in 1959 as the college needed more space. Following reorganisation of teacher training, the College closed in 1978 and the Maria Assumpta Centre was formed, leasing its facilities to educational and pastoral organisations, providing residential accommodation for young women students, providing conference and rehearsal rooms to like-minded organisations.
The garden has a variety of trees including mulberry, plane and fruit trees, with a Lourdes-style grotto, shrubberies, climbing plants, herbaceous borders as well as animals.
Maria Assumpta Centre leaflet; RBKC Kensington Square Conservation Area Proposals Statement (nd)