|Cresswell Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
These private communal gardens were provided for residents of the houses of Creswell Gardens that back onto it, which were built as part of the Gunter Estate. The development of the estate took place from the 1840s onwards, and Cresswell Gardens was built at the latter phase of the development, in 1884-5.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Cresswell Gardens was built in 1884-5 as part of the Gunter Estate development in the area and was named after Cresswell Lodge. The Gunter family had made their money selling confectionery and had begun to acquire land in the area from the latter part of the C18th; James Gunter had become a partner of successful Italian pastrycook Domenico Negri, whose business at 7 Berkeley Square was established in 1757 and soon became prosperous. James began investing his money in land in the then rural area around Brompton Lane (now Old Brompton Road), including a house to the north, Earls Court House, where the family lived. When his son Robert inherited the business on his death in 1819 the land holding was considerable. But although some plots had been let for building by the mid 1840s, 73 of the estate's c.81 acres remained undeveloped and leased to farmers and market gardeners. From the late 1840s Robert Gunter began to develop the estate lands, beginning with The Boltons (q.v.) and moving north and east with large houses and terraces. His sons James and Robert continued to develop the estate following his death in 1852. George Godwin was appointed estate surveyor in 1848. By then, Godwin, who was local to Kensington, already had useful experience as District Surveyor for South Islington, and had erected one or two houses on Fulham Road with his father, also an architect or builder. As estate surveyor Godwin was responsible for the overall street layout and amenities, and overseeing the work undertaken by the contractors and developers who leased the building plots.
In 1884 the site of what became Nos. 1-9, 14-17 Cresswell Gardens was let to G. J. Spicer, solicitor, son of John Spicer who had taken numerous leases for development on the estate from 1850s-70s. The houses were designed by architect Maurice Hulbert. Nos. 10-12 were built in 1937.
RBKC The Boltons Conservation Area Policy Statement; 'The Boltons and Redcliffe Square area: Existing buildings', Survey of London: volume 41: Brompton (1983), pp. 237-240.