|Debenham House Garden||Kensington & Chelsea|
Debenham House was built for Sir Ernest Debenham, owner of the department store that bears his name. It was designed by Halsey Ricardo, and has fine mosaic and tile decoration in the interiors. The garden is contemporary with the house and consists of a formal area near the house. A garden pavilion that adjoins the house has tiles by William de Morgan. Beyond this are steps leading up to the lawn.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The house is considered to be of national interest 'for its extraordinary design and use of materials in an early C20th attempt to provide a maintenance-free building to withstand London's polluted atmosphere.' (RBKC Holland Park Conservation Area Proposals Statement, p.16). For some years Debenham House was used by the Richmond Fellowship, a charity founded in 1959 that offered a community approach to caring for people with mental health problems. Following its use as an institution, Debenham House was purchased in 2001 and turned back into a private residence. The new owners carried out restoration works, which was undertaken by architect Brian Hendry. In 2009 planning permission was granted for building an underground swimming pool, with associated works involving some re-landscaping in the garden.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); RBKC Holland Park Conservation Area Proposals Statement 1989; Country Life, 17 February 2005