|Earl's Terrace||Kensington & Chelsea|
This is a private area of garden for residents of Earl's Terrace, which was laid out as part of the Edwardes estate and developed by Louis Leon Changeur, who also developed Edwardes Square. The terrace is set back from the south side of High Street Kensington, fronted by the strip of garden laid out with areas of shrubs and grass, with a lodge at each end and railings to the road. Behind the terrace are private gardens.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.northacre.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Earl's Terrace was part of the Edwardes estate and was developed by Louis Leon Changeur, who also developed Edwardes Square (q.v.). The architect was probably David James Bunning. The second Lord Kensington began to let land for building from c.1811. Earl's Terrace is set back from the south side of High Street Kensington fronted by a garden and was their most ambitious enterprise. The small square corner lodges and an area of grass and trees, surrounded by railings protect the terrace from the noise of the main road. It is protected under Act of 1819 and 1851 Garden Square Act. In 1928 it was owned by Amalgamated Estates Ltd and described as 'a long narrow enclosure forming, with an approach road, a common frontage to a number of dwelling-houses facing Kensington Road. Enclosed on the public road side by a wall with iron railings on top and laid out partly as a lawn and partly as a shrubbery. Contains some fine trees.' It was at that time maintained by a Garden Committee elected by the male householders, out of rates levied by the Council on occupiers of 'certain houses adjoining the enclosure'. At the rear of the terrace are private gardens behind a brick wall, with numerous trees. In the 1990s the terrace was procured by developers Northacre plc and restored by 1999, with the carriage driveway reinstated over underground car parking and under the gardens a games room and swimming pool created for the residents of the 23 houses.
RBKC Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon Conservation Area Policy Statement (n.d. 1980s); Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 edition); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928