|Edwardes Place||Kensington & Chelsea|
This is a strip of private garden in front of Nos. 1-7 Edwardes Place, set behind a brick wall with railings, gate, trees and shrubberies. The houses were built in c.1820 as part of Lord Kensington's Edwardes Square development, and undertaken in the first period of building that was focussed along the Kensington to Hammersmith Road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The first period of building included Edwardes Square, Earls Terrace, Pembroke Square (q.q.v.), terraces in Abington Road as well as a number of other terraces on Kensington High Street that are no longer in existence. This small terrace was originally intended to consist of 10 houses and to be called Elderton Row, set forward from the adjacent longer and grander Earls Terrace of 25 houses, at the east of which there was originally another small terrace matching Edwardes Place, but this was demolished in 1923/4.
RBKC Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon Conservation Area Policy Statement (n.d. 1980s)