|Egerton Crescent Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
Egerton Crescent Gardens are private communal gardens provided for residents of the adjacent houses, which were built in 1843 as part of the Smith's Charity Estate. The Trustees of the Estate began building on the estate land from 1823, appointing George Basevi as estate architect in 1828. The garden is bordered by its original railings and privet hedging, and has lawn, shrubs and mature trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
This was part of the Smith's Charity Estate, which was a substantial land holding from the time of the bequest of the City merchant Henry Smith, who died in 1628. The stuccoed terraces with their delicate cast iron balconies were probably designed by architect George Basevi and built in 1843. The garden enclosure has its original sturdy railings, a privet hedge that provides privacy, and among the trees are mature robinia pseudoacacia and plane. Owned by the Trustees of the Smith's Charity Estate, in 1928 the garden was described as 'surrounded by thick privet hedge and shrubs, and laid out as a garden with well-kept lawns, &c. Contains some well-grown trees. Overlooked by dwelling-houses'. It was maintained by a Garden Committee, and it was available for use by lessees of the houses adjoining the garden who paid a proportion of the expense; the leases expired in 1941.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); RBKC Thurloe Estate & Smith's Charity Conservation Area Policy Statement; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928