|Egerton Place Garden||Kensington & Chelsea|
Two areas of communal gardens are provided for the residents of Egerton Terrace, which was built in the 1890s as part of Henry Smith's Charity Estate. The gardens comprise a small semi-circular area at the front and an area at the back of the terrace. Initial development in the area dates from 1785 but Egerton Place was subsequently replaced and rebuilt in the 1890s. The front garden has mature trees and has been re-landscaped with ornamental plants, flower beds in recent years.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Egerton Place is on land that was part of the Smith's Charity Estate, which was held by Henry Smith (d.1628), a City merchant who bequeathed it. The first building development in the Egerton area was undertaken in 1785 by Michael Novosielski but Egerton Place was subsequently replaced and rebuilt in the 1890s, the work supervised by Col. Harold Malet. The architect of Nos. 1-7, which were built in 1892, was Mervyn Macartney; A F Faulkner built Nos. 8-14 in 1894 by which time William Willett, builder, had taken on the development. Two areas of communal gardens were provided for the residents of Egerton Terrace, comprising a small semi-circular front garden and a back garden. In 1928 the area at the front was planted with trees and shrubs and it is now a newly landscaped railed garden with ornamental plants, flower beds, small amount of grass and some mature trees. The area at the back was described in 1928 only as 'an enclosure flanked on all sides by the rear of dwelling houses to which it forms a common back garden.'
RBKC Thurloe Estate & Smith's Charity Conservation Area Policy Statement; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928