|Holy Trinity Churchyard||Kensington & Chelsea|
Holy Trinity Churchyard was once a burial ground of St George's Hospital. The church of Holy Trinity Brompton was built in 1826-9 set back from Brompton Road with an avenue planted in 1831 leading to the church. The churchyard at the rear of church is now public gardens, where a few memorials remain The garden is predominantly grassed, with a small area of ornamental planting, and has shrubs and mature trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.htb.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
Holy Trinity Brompton is a Commissioners' church built by T L Donaldson in 1826-9. It was extended by Arthur Blomfield in 1879-82 on the site of a garden. The churchyard was a burial ground for St George's Hospital, and is now laid out as a public garden. The church is set back from Brompton Road, reached via an avenue consisting of a strip of lawn and trees flanking a central path, with a planted border to the adjacent Brompton Oratory that somewhat overshadows the church and garden. A small stone statue of a saint is adjacent to the driveway to the west of the church. The former churchyard is accessed from Ennismore Gardens Mews to the north via a red stone arch with classical pillars, inscription and relief carving, either side of which are iron railings, marred somewhat by chain link fencing. From this entrance a path flanked by an avenue to trees leads towards the church. There are numerous seats throughout the garden and a couple of memorials remain, including an urn on a plinth, and a granite tomb.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Brompton Conservation Area Proposals Statement