|Ladbroke Square Garden (Ladbroke Estate) *||Kensington & Chelsea|
* on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens
Ladbroke Square Garden is part of the Ladbroke Estate, laid out as a planned garden suburb with a coherent layout of concentric crescents and large communal gardens whose features were first suggested in a plan by architect and estate surveyor Thomas Allason in 1823. His scheme was later modified by others, including James Thomson. Building started in the 1840s; the outer crescents date from the 1860s. During the lull in building development, the land was leased from 1837-4 for a racecourse, the Hippodrome. Ladbroke Square commenced in 1842 and is one of the largest private garden squares in London, the communal garden laid out in 1849. It has three lawns, shrubbery and mature trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Photo: Josh Ward, photographer and garden designer
Click photo to enlarge.
Ladbroke Estate: Site on The National Heritage List for England, Parks & Gardens, for Register Entry see https://www.historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list
Ladbroke Square Garden is part of the Ladbroke Estate, laid out as a planned garden suburb with a coherent layout of concentric crescents and large communal gardens whose features were first suggested in a plan by architect and estate surveyor Thomas Allason in 1823. His scheme was later modified by others, including James Thomson, although he remained involved until his death in 1852. During the lull in building development, the land was leased for a time for a racecourse, the Hippodrome, built by John Whyte in 1837. The venture floundered, the course proving too heavy going, and it only operated from 1837-41. Building started in the 1840s; the outer concentric crescents date from the 1860s. After Allason's death, artist and designer Thomas Allom was responsible for the next phase of development.
Ladbroke Square is the largest garden on the estate, and is enclosed on the north by tall stucco mansions along Kensington Park Gardens, the eastern part designed by W J Drew in 1849-50 and the western part designed by Thomas Allom and built by David Ramsay in 1853-58. There is a break between the two terraces with an entrance and a pair of mid C19th cast iron gates with the coat of arms of Felix Ladbroke on shields in the centre of inscribed circles, opposite the gated entrance to South Stanley Garden (q.v.). The square is open on the other three sides, which are bounded by railings. The garden slopes from north to south and retains its original path layout including a broad walk running from west to east along the south side. In the garden are the remains of a circular fountain that was part of the original design for the garden, probably by Thomas Allason, which has been out of action since WWII. This is now a flowerbed surrounded by trees with ornamental cast iron urns on piers. Other features include a wooden summerhouse (one of a pair, the other demolished in the 1980s) and a gardener's cottage in the north east corner. The paths cross the garden to form three large lawns, backed by shrubberies, with a tennis court near the south-east corner. The mid C19th planting includes planes, limes, beech, evergreen and semi-evergreen oaks, hawthorns, and horse chestnuts, and has been supplemented by more recent planting of trees and flowering shrubs.
EH Register entry for Ladbroke Estate, 2002/3 EH Register: LCC Survey of London XXXVII, 1937; E Cecil 'London Parks and Gardens', 1907, p219; E B Chancellor 'The History of the Squares of London', 1907, p321; N Pevsner, 'London except . . . Westminster', 1952, p310-11.