|Lexham Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
The private communal gardens were provided for residents of surrounding houses of Lexham Gardens, which were gradually built from the 1870s, the garden probably laid out in 1869. The gardens have the distinction of being the first London square to be offered for sale in 1987 for underground rights (the opposite of air rights). The garden was refurbished in 1990 and among the facilities are a children's play area and ponds with fountains.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Photo: Justina Burnett
Click photo to enlarge.
Lexham Gardens properties were built gradually from the 1870s, the garden probably laid out in 1869. In 1928 it was owned by Lord Iveagh and available for use by lessees of houses that abutted it, who paid garden rents under their leases (which were due to expire in 1970-72). Maintenance was by the ground landlord and the Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares pointed out that 'the garden rents do not fully cover the present day expenses of maintenance'. At that time the garden was described as a 'narrow rectangular area laid out with lawns and flower-beds. Trees and small shrubs around the border'. The gardens have the distinction of being the first London square to be offered for sale in 1987 for underground rights (the opposite of air rights). The garden was refurbished in 1990 and has won the All-London Garden Square Best Garden a number of times and the Brighter Kensington & Chelsea Prize at least 8 times. Within the garden is a small pavilion, seats and arbours, and ornamental planting. Protected under 1851 Garden Square Act.
OGSW booklet 2004; RB Kensington Parks Archive; Report of the Royal Commission on London Square, 1928