|Oakwood Court Garden||Kensington & Chelsea|
This area was once part of the Holland House estate, which in the late C18th consisted of c.200 acres, but the original estate had once been nearly 500 acres, extending almost to Fulham Road. The development of the Addison Road area of the estate commenced from 1822 under the 3rd Lord Holland, whose estate was by then running at a loss. Oakwood Court was the first development of large flats built here at the turn of the century on the site of a lake, previously the fishponds, called The Moats. The small railed and hedged garden was provided for the use of the tenants.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Oakwood Court consists of 8-storey blocks, and the plans were produced by William G Hunt, architect of Bedford Gardens, who built Nos. 1-30 in c.1900. Nos. 31-62 were built by Richardson and Gill in 1928-30. In the 1950s/60s Wates built houses north of Oakwood Court. In 1928 the garden was owned by Associated London Properties Ltd who maintained it, and at that time it was described as 'an oblong enclosure maintained as a lawn, with a large tree in the middle and a shrubbery around the border'.
RBKC Holland Park Conservation Area Proposals Statement, 1989; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares 1928