|Ormonde Gate||Kensington & Chelsea|
This is the rear communal gardens for residents of Ormonde Gate, which was named after Ormonde House, built on this site in 1691 and the residence of the Duchess of Ormonde in the 1730s. The communal garden was accessed from the rear of the houses, the rear elevation designed as formally as the front.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Ormande Gate was built on the site of Ormonde House, which overlooked Burton's Court. The house was built in 1691 by Thomas Hill, principal mason for the Royal Hospital (q.v.) who was also responsible for statuary at St Paul's Cathedral and many Royal palaces. From 1705 Lord Pelham lived here and from 1730-33 it was the home of Mary, Duchess of Ormonde. In the early C19th the house was used as a Maritime School and from 1829 it became a Discipline School for young girls established by Elizabeth Fry; it is marked as such on Cassells' Map of 1860. It was part of the Cadogan Estate, and among the last sites to be developed. On Stanford's 'Map of London and Its Suburbs' of 1862 a short terrace, Ormond Row, is shown at the south end of Smith Street overlooking Burton's Court; Ormonde Gate is recorded as a name from 1906. The first Duke of Ormonde, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, laid the foundation stone for a Royal Hospital for soldiers of the Irish army in Dublin in 1680, which was likely to have inspired Sir Stephen Fox when the Royal Hospital in Chelsea was founded.
RBKC Royal Hospital Conservation Area Proposals Statement nd