|Pembridge Square Garden||Kensington & Chelsea|
The private communal garden was provided for residents of Pembridge Square, which was built in 1856-64 on land that was once part of the Hall Estate, one of three estates in this area, the others being the Campden Charities Estate and the Ladbroke Estate. Today the garden is surrounded by railings and a privet hedge, with grass, gravel paths, lime trees and shrubs within the garden.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Photo: Colin Wing
Click photo to enlarge.
Pembridge Square was built on land that was once part of the Hall Estate, one of three estates in this area, the others being the Campden Charities Estate and the Ladbroke Estate. The Ladbroke family owned two plots of land here in addition to the main Ladbroke Estate to the west, and in 1844 granted a lease to William Henry Jenkins to develop one of these plots, comprising 28 acres, which is now Chepstow Villas, Pembridge Villas, Pembridge Place and Chepstow Place. Jenkins subsequently leased 10 acres from the Hall Estate to extend his development to the west, and it was completed by 1859. The south-east part of the Hall Estate was developed by Francis and William Radford, who, having built Nos. 37-41 Pembridge Villas on the Ladbroke Estate, in 1849 took leases on the Hall Estate and by 1864 had built 150 predominantly detached houses and Pembridge Square, overlooking a communal garden. In 1928 the garden was owned by freeholders of the houses in the square and it was maintained by a Committee who were appointed according to regulations in the Trust Deed that formed part of the title of each house. The garden at that time is described as a 'long narrow enclosure attractively laid out with a lawn and shrubberies. Contains some fine trees.' It is protected under 1851 Garden Square Act.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); RBKC Pembridge Conservation Area Policy Statement, c1982, Report of Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928