|Pembroke Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
This triangular area of communal garden was provided for residents of Pembroke Gardens, which was developed from 1863 in the second phase of building on Lord Kensington's Edwardes Estate. The name Pembroke derives from the Welsh estates of the family and many of the street names in this area are named for villages on their lands in Wales.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
This area was built up originally with large houses, such as Pembroke Lodge of the 1860s, many of which were semi-detached; later there was some post-war rebuilding in 1950s/60s. Part of the area had been redeveloped when the Prudential Assurance Company bought the west sides of Pembroke Villas, Pembroke Square and Pembroke Lodge in 1903 for a scheme to redevelop Pembroke Gardens Close. In the 1960s the Company built Nos.24-42 Pembroke Villas and Nos. 31-34 Pembroke Gardens were built in 1927 by G A Coombe for the Prudential. At the north, adjacent to No. 35 Pembroke Gardens, is Pembroke Studios, built in 1880 on an open site and comprises six studios around a garden.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); RBKC Edwardes Square, Scarsdale and Abingdon Conservation Area Policy Statement (n.d. 1980s)