|Powis Square Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
This public garden was formerly a private communal garden for the houses around Powis Square, which was developed as part of the Colville Estate in 1860. The area has been rehabilitated since the 1960s and a four-storey range of brick terraces has replaced part of one of the terraces. The garden has modern railings, an asphalted play area, a grass mound in the middle and a playground at the south end, with a modern sculpture on the mound.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.rbkc.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
One of the few squares to be owned by the local authority in this borough, and open to the public. Powis Square was built in 1860 for the Colville Estate, the houses designed by T S Tippett and are fully stuccoed. In 1928 the garden was still in the ownership of the Colville Estate Ltd, who maintained the garden, levying a rate on the residents for their use of the amenity. At that time it was described as a 'rectangular area flanked on three sides by roads and on one long side by the rear of houses. Laid out with lawns and trees.' It was judged to 'add greatly to the amenity of the houses adjoining and overlooking it'. The area has been rehabilitated since the 1960s and a four storey range of brick terraces by the Borough Architects Department has replaced part of one of the terraces. The square has modern railings, an asphalted play area, a grass mound in the middle and a playground at the south end, with a modern sculpture (no plaque) of two figures on the mound. Line of plane trees and some new trees. The Tabernacle community centre is at the north end of the square.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928.