|Queen's Elm Square||Kensington & Chelsea|
Queen's Elm Square was built in 1904-6 for the Sloane Stanley Estate on a site behind the Queen's Elm public house. The houses overlook communal gardens with an access road at the front, behind which the two-and-a-half storey neo-Tudor half-timbered buildings have remained virtually unchanged since they were built.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
By the early C17th, grand houses began to be established around the old village of Chelsea, among them those of Henry VIII and Sir Thomas More (Beaufort House). In subsequent decades more building took place both along the river as well as further inland particularly up Church Lane, now Old Church Street, which developed northwards to the Queen's Elm. This is where Queen Elizabeth I is supposed to have sheltered from the rain with Lord Burghley; the 'Queen's Tree' was recorded as early as 1586 and an arbour was built around it. Queen's Elm Square overlooks a garden enclosure, which has houses on three sides and Old Church Street as the fourth side. In 1928 the garden was described as 'very attractive', laid out as a lawn and enclosed by railings and hedge on the Church Street side and by low posts and rails on the other three sides. At that time it was provided for the use of lessees of the houses that overlooked it whose leases included a garden rate. A Committee of lessees maintained the garden out of the rates.
RBKC Chelsea Park / Carlyle Conservation Area Proposals Statement; Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed) p587; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928