|St Barnabas Church Garden||Kensington & Chelsea|
St Barnabas Church was built in 1825 designed by Lewis Vulliamy, and has a pleasant garden between the church and vicarage, with a beech hedge at the road boundary. The site is overlooked by the backs of Oakwood Court. This area was once part of the Holland House estate, which in the late C18th consisted of c.200 acres, but the original estate had once been nearly 500 acres, extending almost to Fulham Road. The development of the Addison Road area of the estate commenced from 1822 under the third Lord Holland, whose estate was by then running at a loss.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/10/2007
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stbk.org.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Addison Road is named after Joseph Addison, one of the many literary and political visitors to the third Baron Holland and his wife at Holland House. Builder James Hall was among those who undertook development here, building 120 houses in Addison Road, Addison Crescent, Addison Gardens, Upper Addison Gardens and Holland Villas Road.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); RBKC Holland Park Conservation Area Proposals Statement, 1989