|Sloane Gardens||Kensington & Chelsea|
These are communal private gardens for the residents of Sloane Gardens, which was built as part of the Cadogan Estate re-development in 1887. The western boundary of the garden adjoins Lower Sloane Street and has simple post-war railings replacing the originals. The communal gardens remain for the use of residents of adjoining houses.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2009
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news.
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
This area was once within the Manor of Chelsea, whose owners included Westminster Abbey and Henry VIII, and which was purchased by Hans Sloane in 1712. When Sloane died his estate was divided between his daughters. Elizabeth, who was married to Charles Cadogan, had the eastern part, which became the Cadogan London estate. In 1771/4 discussions took place between Lord Cadogan and the architect Henry Holland, son-in-law of 'Capability' Brown, who wished to lease c.90 acres between Knightsbridge to the south of Sloane Square for his 'Hans Town' development, which included the Sloane Gardens area.
By the mid-late C19th the area south of Sloane Square was somewhat run-down and considered suitable for redevelopment by the Cadogan Estate, the Holland leases expiring in the late 1870s. This redevelopment brought changes to the street pattern and street names, and the then Cadogan and Hans Place Estate Ltd required all buildings to be of red brick, in revived 'Queen Anne Style'. Lower Sloane Street, Sloane Gardens and Holbein Mews were built by William Willett. The houses on the east side were designed mainly by H.B. Measures. The communal gardens of Sloane Gardens were for the use of leaseholders of adjoining houses and were managed by a Committee of householders from fees paid by the leaseholders. In 1928 the gardens were described as 'a long narrow enclosure . . . Laid out as an ornamental garden with well-kept lawns and some fine trees. Very attractive' (Report of Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928). The western boundary of the gardens is the busy Lower Sloane Street and the gardens consequently lack the feeling of enclosure that is such a feature of many of the borough's gardens and squares. The garden to the rear of 5-39 Sloane Gardens is separated from Holbein Place by a high brick wall and contains mature plane and other trees.
Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner, 'The Buildings of England London 3: North West' (Penguin, 1999 ed); Sloane Square Conservation Area Proposals Statement, 1991; Report of Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928