London Gardens Online
Select by type
London Gardens Online

SITE DETAILS

West London Bowling Club Kensington & Chelsea
   

West London Bowling Club

West London Bowling Club, June 2015. Photo S Williams

> Enlarge picture

> Album

The West London Bowling Club was founded in 1903, and opened its bowling green here in 1920. Bowling continued throughout WWII and the club celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1953. The green is surrounded by shrub planting and has a small pavilion. The green is surrounded by shrub planting and to the south is an area of garden. Now predominantly planted with roses, this consistently won prizes in the Kensington and Chelsea Gardens Competitions from 1968 and throughout the 1970s. In 1970 three Trophies were won and HRH Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone visited the club and gardens. There is a small pavilion with roses and other planted areas. The bowling green is surrounded by suburban housing, and is a quiet oasis of green.
West London Bowling Club,  June 2015. Photo S Williams
> Enlarge
Previous / Other name:
Site location: 112a Highlever Road (off St Quintin's Gardens)
Postcode: W10 6PL > Google Map
Type of site: Private Open Land
Date(s): 1920
Designer(s):
Listed structures:
Borough: Kensington & Chelsea
Site ownership: West London Bowling Club
Site management: West London Bowling Club Gardening Club
Open to public? Partially
Opening times: open for members, but may be some access to visitors (call 020 8969 1929)
Has taken part in Open Garden Squares Weekend 3 times, most recently in 2017.
Special conditions:
Facilities:
Events:
Public transport: Tube: Latimer Road (Hammersmith & City, Circle) then bus. Bus: 7, 70, 220
West London Bowling Club,  June 2015. Photo S Williams
> Enlarge
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2015
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.westlondonbowlingclub.com

Fuller information:

The land here was formerly in the Manor of Notting Barns, a farm owned by Thomas Darby of Sunbury, who in 1769 conveyed it to a relative by marriage, William St Quintin of Scampston Hall in Yorkshire. The farmhouse used to stand on the junction of St Quintin Avenue and Chesterton Road. The St Quintin Estate was only developed for housing after the construction of the Hammersmith and City railway opened up this hitherto inaccessible part of North Kensington. At that time the estate was owned by Colonel Matthew Chitty Downs St Quintin, who leased land to the entrepreneur Charles Henry Blake (1794-1872) then developing the area around the railway. Blake had already acquired land for his development on the Portobello and Ladbroke estates, and was responsible for Kensington Park Gardens, Stanley Gardens and Stanley Crescent. As ground landlord, Col. St Quintin imposed stringent building requirements on Blake, such as provision of shops and houses built to high specifications and the prior approval of plans by his own architect, Henry Currey, who was employed to supervise his estate. This contrasted with building on Blake's other land, which was later notorious for its bad conditions. Cambridge Gardens and Oxford Gardens were laid out in 1869-70, the houses aimed at middle-classes and early commuters. The second building phase took place between 1871 and 1890 and included St Quintin Avenue and Highlever Road. The last part of the estate to be built took place after 1905 and was completed after WWI, and was predominantly working class housing built by Kensington Borough Council or charitable trusts.

The West London Bowling Club was founded in 1903 when a meeting held on 26 February decided on the desirability of forming a bowling club in the Ladbroke Grove area. The present green opened in 1920 and bowling continued throughout WWII in spite of near misses by bombs and a landmine. In 1953 the club celebrated its Golden Jubilee here, and its Silver in 1963. In 1969 a Ladies Bowling Section was founded. The green is surrounded by shrub planting and to the south is an area of garden. Now predominantly planted with roses, this consistently won prizes in the Kensington and Chelsea Gardens Competitions from 1968 and throughout the 1970s. In 1970 three Trophies were won and HRH Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone visited the club and gardens. There is a small pavilion with roses and other planted areas. The bowling green is surrounded by suburban housing, and is a quiet oasis of green.

In recent years the former award-winning gardens have been undergoing a process of restoration, through the work of the club’s active Gardening Club.

Sources consulted:

West London Bowling Club booklet
Grid ref: TQ233816
Size in hectares: 0.1891
   
On EH National Register : No
EH grade:
Site on EH Heritage at Risk list:
Registered common or village green
on Commons Registration Act 1965:
No
Protected under London Squares
Preservation Act 1931:
No
 
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
On Local List:
In Conservation Area: Yes
Conservation Area name: Oxford Gardens/St Quintin
Tree Preservation Order: No
Nature Conservation Area: No
Green Belt: No
Metropolitan Open Land: No
Special Policy Area: No
Other LA designation:
   

| Page Top |

Discover. Visit. Research. Explore.
< Back