|Alexandra Recreation Ground, including Red Lion Gardens||Kingston|
The site for Alexandra Park, as Alexandra Recreation Ground was called when it first opened, was purchased in the late C19th/early C20th in order to provide public recreational facilities in the quickly developing town of Surbiton. The park provided various sporting facilities, which in 1944 included a miniature railway, and it is the home of a number of clubs, with hedged croquet and bowling greens. A fine avenue of trees leads towards the pavilion and trees line some boundaries including the main entrance on King Charles Road. Red Lion Gardens, just south of the gates, is a triangular area of formal planting by the main road.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Alexandra Recreation Ground was one of a number of parks in the borough where various Surbiton Borough Council events were held, such as open air services to celebrate the Coronation in 1937. A 'Wings for Victory' procession led to Alexandra Recreation Ground in 1943 as part of the Borough Council's fund-raising drive. Outside the main gates on King Charles Road, between the park and the main road are Red Lion Gardens, classified as a Wayside Garden in the Council's Green Spaces Strategy. The garden has a number of shaped island beds set within lawn and at one time there was a floral clock, planted to commemorate important events. To the north east of the park part of Tolworth Allotment site was laid out as a new Millennium Green, abutting the Recreation Ground.
Richard Stathan 'Surbiton Past' (Phillimore, 1996)