|Back Green and Malden Green||Kingston|
The borough boundary between RB Kingston and LB Sutton cuts north-south across the park, which is a remnant of commonland, the boundaries of which have not changed for at least 150 years. It was shown on a Tithe Map of 1839 as Back Green and prior to the building of the railway in the 1850s it used to be linked to the main area of Lower Green, which is now the main road through Worcester Park. Upper Green was located near the junction of Malden Road and Church Road. Nearby is a further remnant of commonland, Malden Green, which remains as a strip of grass by the main road with Lombardy poplars, but otherwise has disappeared.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.sutton.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
By 1968 the land to the south was laid out as sports pitches and the fields to the north had been built over. There was once a pond along the northern edge of Back Green, no longer there. There also used to be elm trees growing here. Back Green remains in the ownership of the Warden and Scholars of Merton College, Oxford who also own part of Malden Green.
Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992