|Athelstan Recreation Ground||Kingston|
Athelstan Recreation Ground is an interwar park laid out on former fields as the area south of Kingston town centre was being developed from the early C20th. Its name recalls the Anglo-Saxon King Athelstan, who was crowned at Kingston in 925 AD. The town gets its name for once being the residence of Surrey under-kings, as well as of King John, and reputedly 7 Saxon kings were crowned here although this number is disputed.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Villiers Road was an old route formerly known as Oil Mill Lane, and Oil Mills are marked on the OS Map of 1868 just north of the Hogsmill River (q.v.). Disused by the 1890s, the site was later a soap and candle works, and by 1934 was Kingston Corporation Depot. By this time the recreation ground had been laid out, with lavatories near the north-west corner forming the only built structure shown on the OS of 1934. By the late 1940s there was large square playground area in the north east corner, with a drinking fountain in one corner, near the middle of the park, and a shelter midway along the south perimeter with the the name shown as Athelstan Recreation Ground. Athelstan House has been built to the east on Athelstan Road. The London Loop runs through the park.