The Guildhall was on the site of the C18th Clattern House, which was next to the early C19th Assize Courts, both demolished in 1933. Used for municipal offices from 1891 Guildhall housed the library until 1903, when Kingston Library on Fairfield opened. A new larger Guildhall was built in 1935, and was further extended in 1968. The Guildhall Grounds are landscaped with grass, paths, shrub beds and trees. The ancient Coronation Stone surrounded by mid-C19th railings was moved to the Guildhall grounds in 1935 from the site south of Market Place where it had been set up in 1850. Nearby is the C12th Clattern Bridge over the Hogsmill River, which runs along one boundary of the grounds.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
By the 1930s the old Guildhall was found to be insufficient for the needs of the local authority. Both Clattern House and the Assize Court were then demolished in 1933 to make way for the new Guildhall, a fine brick and stone dressed building designed by Maurice Webb. It was opened in 1935 by Princess Alice, Countess of Athlone, Queen Victoria's grand-daughter. Kingston is known as the place where 7 Saxon kings were crowned, but the accuracy of the number of coronations is disputed. However, set into the plinth around the Coronation Stone is a silver penny noting the reign of each King. The Clattern Bridge is so named due the sound of horses' hooves and is still in use.
Tim Everson 'Kingston, Surbiton and Malden' Britain in Old Photographs, Sutton 1995 (reprint Budding Books 2000); Shaan Butters 'The Book of Kingston', Baron, 1995; Pevsner and Cherry, London 2: South, 1983