|Hogsmill River Park||Kingston|
Hogsmill River Park is a linear park created in the 1980s that continues the link to other open spaces through the borough along the route of the Hogsmill River, which flows north through New Malden and Berrylands to the Thames just by the Guildhall. Evidence of bronze and iron age settlements have been found by the river, which was called the Hogsmill relatively recently, and was previously known as the Malden River, and in 1439 as the Lurteborne.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk/browse/environment/parks/recreation_sites
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The name 'Hogsmill' in all likelihood derives from someone called Hog owning a mill by the river, and a John Hogge of 'Suberton' is referred to in 1179 in connection with leasing land from Merton Priory at Grapelingham, now called The Grapsome (q.v.). The river was used to drive mills from before the Norman Conquest until the early C20th. Malden Mill on the river below Old Malden parish church of St Mary (q.v.) is referred to in the Domesday Survey and was probably used for corn milling prior to 1720. After that date the site was used for gunpowder mills, and the parish of Malden had 12 gunpowder mills in the early C19th. On 2 January 1742 one of the mills blew up with 40 barrels of gunpowder, causing damage to the church windows some 400 metres away and the explosion was heard for 20 kms around. Two mills nearer the road blew up in 1854; after this a new cornmill was built here but it was burnt down in 1891 and other uses made of the site until it was cleared in 1950.
The Pre-Raphaelite painters, William Holman Hunt and John Millais, who was born in Kingston, visited the area in 1851 in search of locations for painting. Holman Hunt painted near Old Malden Lane, staying in Worcester Park Farmhouse with Ford Madox Brown and Dante Gabriel Rossetti. His painting 'The Light of the World' and Millais' 'Ophelia' are both thought to have been painted in the vicinity of the Hogsmill.
The Hogsmill Valley was saved from housing development largely due to it being a flood plain. The landscape of the path is varied, in some parts having hedgerows, lines of trees, mature willows and oak. Part abuts sports fields, and north of the Kingston By-pass is woodland managed by London Wildlife Trust as Hogsmill Wood Nature Reserve with another privately-owned woodland located south of the Chessington railway. The Hogsmill Valley Walk Strategy was adopted by Kingston Council in June 2002 following consultation with key interested parties in December and January 2001/02.
A McCormack, Kingston Upon Thames, London, 1989; Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992; Mark Davison and Paul Adams 'Tolworth Remembered', (n.d. 2000/2001?)