|Leyfield Open Space||Kingston|
This is a small remnant of Malden Common, which until the C20th extended to the east and is now built over by housing. Malden was renamed Old Malden when the station at New Malden opened in 1846 to the north. Malden comes from Mael-dun which meant 'a cross on the hill' in Anglo Saxon, and a church has been here since medieval times. Now renamed Leyfield Open Space, the remnant of the Common has grassland, scrub that is largely hawthorn, and woodland including oak trees to the north and a few Scots pine in the centre. A path runs through the site, which has fine views and to the north it reaches Old Malden church of St John.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992