|Malden Golf Course||Kingston|
Once part of Norbiton Common, the land was later part of the Coombe estate owned by the Duke of Cambridge, and until c.1911 it was part of Hoppingwood Farm. Raynes Park Golf Club, which was established in 1893, moved to Malden in 1925 when its original course was taken for development. The club's new course and clubhouse opened in 1926, the club renamed Malden Golf Club. The golf course has woodland areas with clumps of exotic species planted. Although private, the golf course is crossed by a public footpath from Cambridge Avenue. A small area of 4ha. is in LB Merton.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.maldengolfclub.com
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
The land was part of the extensive Coombe estate, which the 1st Duke of Cambridge had purchased in 1837 from the Spencer family, who had owned it since 1753. After the Duke's death in 1850 the estate was inherited by his son George, who became 2nd Duke of Cambridge. With his younger sons Colonel Sir Augustus and Admiral Sir Aldolphus Fitzgeorge he created a golf course on their estate, Coombe Wood Golf Course (q.v.). Colonel Sir Augustus Fitzgeorge became President of Malden Golf Club, presiding over the opening ceremony in 1926, after which an exhibition match took place between Abe Mitchell, Harry Vardon, Alex Herd and Ted Ray, four great professionals at that time. Herd had advised on the layout of the course. The club has attracted a number of well-known golfers, including Gary Player and Bing Crosby, and sportsmen in other fields have also played here such as the cricketer Jack Hobbs. The Brock Cup, which is played for at the club on Armistice Sunday, commemorates Wing Commander Frank Brock, son of C T Brock who set up the famous fireworks company. Frank joined the family business and became director until the outbreak of WWI. He devised various pyrotechnics that were used as smoke screens in military raids including that on Zeebrugge on 22/23 April 1918, when Wing Commander Brock was killed in action.
The golf course was possibly a site of medieval significance, since a moat can be clearly seen on the OS Map (1970). The name 'Hoppinge' is old and may refer to 'flat land either side of a river where hops grew'. The Coombe Brook, into which a central pond drains, crosses the north of the golf course and the Beverley Brook flows through the south-east corner. Also running through the site is the water pipe, now owned by Thames Water, which runs north of the railway line taking water from the reservoirs at Seething Wells by the Thames at Kingston to South London, which were built in the 1850s by Chelsea Water Company and opened in 1856. Seething Wells was the site of a spring, which was described in the late C17th by historian John Aubrey as 'cold in summer and warm in winter; it bubbles up and is called Seething Well. The inhabitants thereabouts do use to wash their eyes with it, and drink of it'.
Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992; Tim Everson, 'Kingston, Surbiton and Malden', Budding Books, 2001; Robin Gems 'Malden Golf Club 1893 - 1990'. See history on Malden Golf Club website.