|St John the Baptist Churchyard, Malden||Kingston|
There has been a church here since medieval times. The medieval flintwork chancel remains although in the early C17th St John the Baptist was rebuilt at the expense of the Lord of the Manor, John Goode (d.1627), to whom a tablet was erected in the chancel. In 1875 a new nave and chancel were built by T G Jackson. The churchyard has a lych gate at the entrance beside which is a war memorial. There are a number of grand tombs and churchyard trees include willow and ash.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/03/2004
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.achurchnearyou.com/stjohnsoldmalden/
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
An Iron Age settlement was discovered near here and mention is made of a settlement at Malden in the Domesday Book in 1086 and remnants of the old village are still visible, including the church, the Manor House of c.1700, the C15th Plough Inn, reputedly once a refuge for the highwayman Dick Turpin, and Malden Pond now enclosed by railings. The village once had three ponds; a Tithe Map of 1839 shows Malden Pond and the easternmost of the three within the garden and orchard of the Plough Inn, and the third pond near the site of the current library. Malden was renamed Old Malden when the station at New Malden opened in 1846 to the north. Malden comes from Mael-dun which meant 'a cross on the hill' in Anglo Saxon, and a church has been here since medieval times.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992; Ben Weinreb & Christopher Hibbert, 'The London Encyclopaedia' (Macmillan, revised ed. 1993).