|St Mark's Churchyard Gardens, Surbiton||Kingston|
St Mark's Church was built in 1845 and remodelled in 1855 by P C Hardwick but it was almost completely destroyed in WWII, except for the tower and spire of 1860, and was rebuilt in 1960. Most of the gravestones were damaged or broken and were removed from the churchyard, which is on a hilly site with terraced lawns, a few rose beds and tombs within the grass and to the west are mature yews. A path leads from the church via short flights of steps down to the entrance gate on Church Hill Road with an avenue of yews. Wooden paling fence forms the boundary to the main road, St Mark's Hill.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.kingston.gov.uk; www.surbitonchurch.org.uk/stmarks.html
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
A settlement at Surbiton is referred to soon after the Domesday Survey, but significant development did not take place in the area until the late 1830s. In 1838 the town was called Kingston-New-Town, and then Kingston-on-Railway after the station was opened in 1841, only later becoming Surbiton. Due to its easy rail access to London and its pleasant countryside, it became a popular place for the wealthy and middle-classes to move to, becoming known as the 'Queen of the Suburbs' and by 1855 it was large enough to merit becoming a local authority independent of Kingston. In 1974 Surbiton and Kingston came together again when the Royal Borough of Kingston on Thames was formed. St Mark's Church is now one of two churches within the Surbiton parish, along with St Andrew's. In 2011 St Mark's closed while new facilities were created in the existing building, and a new hall built on the north side, the re-dedication taking place on 24 June 2012.
Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999; Sue Swales, Ian Yarham, Bob Britton, 'Nature Conservation in Kingston upon Thames', Ecology Handbook 18 (London Ecology Unit) 1992