|St Matthew's Church, Surbiton||Kingston|
St Matthew's Church was built by C L Luck in 1874/5 to serve the growing population of Surbiton and has a fine landmark spire, 'the stateliest church in Surbiton' according to Nikolaus Pevsner. Money for the church and vicarage came largely from William Matthew Coulthurst, a senior partner in Coutts Bank, who provided £24,000. A plaque set into the wall records Mr Coulthurst's bequest, which was partly in memory of his sister Hannah who had died. The church has a small area of garden around it with grass, roses, shrubs and trees, and a path runs around the church.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/04/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.stmatthewssurbiton.co.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Adjacent to the church is the new Vicarage, which was built in 1939 to replace the original one built at the same time as the church. When it was first built the parish was created out of the old parishes of St Mary's Long Ditton and St John's Old Malden (q.v.). At that time the site of the church was a meadow, and St Matthew's Avenue and Kingsdowne Road were tracks. In 1934 St George's Church was built to serve the southern half of the parish, St Matthew's serving the northern part.
Tim Everson 'Kingston, Surbiton and Malden' Britain in Old Photographs, Sutton 1995 (reprint Budding Books 2000)