|Emma Cons Garden||Lambeth|
Opposite the Old Vic, Emma Cons Garden commemorates the theatre's benefactress. The Old Vic opened in 1818 and was managed by Emma Cons from 1880 until her death in 1912. The site opposite the theatre was bombed in WWII and was derelict until purchased by the LCC and opened as a public garden in 1958, laid out with trees, raised grass plots and seats. By early C21st it was fairly derelict, with a burnt tree stump and broken brick planters. It was re-paved in 2003 and the poorly maintained brick planters opposite the Old Vic were removed. Since 2005 new landscaping has again taken place.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/01/2012
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lambeth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Click photo to enlarge.
The Old Vic opened in 1818 as the Royal Coburg Theatre after its patroness Princess Charlotte of Saxe Coburg. Its name changed to the Victoria Theatre in 1833. In 1879 it was bought by public subscription and given to the Coffee Palace Association, a society promoting the substitution of coffee over alcohol as the favourite beverage of the working classes, and which provided musical and variety acts as well as lectures to effect this. The Theatre was managed by Emma Cons (1838-1912), 'an ardent reformer and legendary impresario' (Draper) from 1880 until her death in 1912.
Marie Draper 'Lambeth's Open Spaces, An historical account', LB Lambeth 1979