Grafton Square was developed in 1851 by Captain Thomas Ross; there remain grand terraces on two sides of the garden square with smaller houses on the third side. The fourth side was never built and is now a relatively quiet street. Originally the central garden was railed and planted with shrubs but in 1927 it was let to a Mr A Botting for use as a local tennis club, which had exclusive access. The garden came into public ownership in 1953 at that time within the LB Wandsworth, but it is now within LB Lambeth following borough boundary changes in 1965. It has subsequently been laid out with seats, a shelter and play area now having modern railings. The southern part has a large tarmaced area for a playground, otherwise the site is grassed with a path and a number of trees.
The information shown above was correct at the time of the last update 01/06/2011
Please check with the site owner or manager for latest news. www.lambeth.gov.uk
The information below is taken from the relevant Local Authority's planning legislation, which was correct at the time of research but may have been amended in the interim. Please check with the Local Authority for latest planning information.
Marie Draper 'Lambeth's Open Spaces, An historical account', LB Lambeth 1979; Report of the Royal Commission on London Squares, 1928; Bridget Cherry & Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 2: South (Penguin) 1999